Birds, reptiles, insects and other animals


The keeping of livestock on residential properties requires development approval as does animal husbandry and intensive animal keeping (such as kennels, broiler sheds, feedlots or similar). 

Most types of animals may be allowed to be kept on a premises as long as the applicable approvals, permits or registrations are in place.

Each application is assessed on its own merit and on a case by case situation before approval is given to keep specific types of animals.

Pursuant to Schedule 3 of the Development Regulations 2008 – (under the Development Act 1993), 'the keeping of animals, birds, or other livestock (other than horses, sheep, cattle, pigs, goats, donkeys and wild animals) solely for the domestic needs or enjoyment of the occupants of a dwelling (and land appurtenant to a dwelling) is exempt from requiring development approval from council’. 

Chickens, ducks and other fowl

Small numbers of poultry or other birds may be kept so long as they do not cause a nuisance.  This includes nuisance caused by excessive odour, dust, noise (especially from roosters), fly breeding, rats or mice.


Selling eggs is permitted as long as the egg producer is registered with Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) and complies. For further information, visit PIRSA. The sale of eggs requires notification of a Food Business and compliance with food safety laws: the egg food safety standard (Standard 4.2.5).


Keeping a rooster within your flock may create a nuisance noise for your neighbours. For this reason, we do not recommend roosters are kept in residential areas.

For further information regarding the keeping of roosters on your property, please refer to the RSPCA webpage

Wild birds including abundant native species such as the Little Corella

We do not play a role in the control of wild birds.

For further information about native or wild birds, please refer to The Department for Environment and Water or phone 8204 1910.


Horses are permitted on most beaches with 24 hour access during the winter months May to September inclusive with access between the hours of midnight and 9 am from October to April inclusive. 

Horse access is permitted on the following beaches:

  • Maslin Beach
  • Port Willunga
  • Aldinga Beach
  • Silver Sands
  • Sellicks Beach
  • Moana
  • Southport
  • Port Noarlunga
  • Christies Beach

Horse access is not permitted at the following locations:

  • O'Sullivan Beach boat ramp
  • Dog off-lead areas at Moana

You must clean up after your horse and failure to comply can lead to penalties under By-law 6 Foreshore.

Goats, sheep, alpacas and other livestock

Properties, including rural, peri-urban and suburban properties who keep any sheep, cattle, pigs, deer, equines (horses, donkeys, mules), camels or camelids (alpacas and llamas) must have a Property Identification Code from Biosecurity SA. Further information is available at Primary Industries and Regions SA

Please note Development Regulations 2008 do not require a Development Application for the keeping of animals, birds, or other domestic animals solely for the domestic needs or enjoyment of the occupants of a dwelling (and land relating to a dwelling).

Non-domestic animals including but not limited to horses, sheep, cattle, pigs, goats, donkeys and wild animals require a Development Application to be lodged with council. For further information, please contact our duty planning officer on 8384 0666.


Council only responds to snake removal requests on council land or in council buildings.

If you see a snake:

  • Leave it alone. Snakes are generally shy and will not attack unless provoked, so it's best to leave them be.
  • Inside your home, get all people and pets out of the room immediately. Shut the door and fill the gap underneath with a towel, then call a professional snake catcher for assistance.
  • outside - watch where it goes. If it's heading for the bush or an open paddock you probably won't see it again. If it disappears into a shed or under a vehicle, then you may need to call a snake catcher.

For further information and advice, please visit Department for Environment and Water 

Please call 8384 0666 to request removal of a snake from council property. 


Bee keeping is permitted as long as the keeper is registered and the bees do not become a nuisance or hazard to other persons.

Registration as an apiarist (bee keeper) is required by Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA). For further information, visit PIRSA

It is important to consider neighbours within close proximity when establishing hives and you should be aware that we may order the removal of bees if their keeping is uncontrolled.


The sale of honey requires notification of a Food Business and compliance with food safety laws, please visit Food Standards Australia and New Zealand for more information.

Pre-packaged honey must also be labelled correctly, including weight, nutritional panel and batch number for food recall purposes. For further details visit Trade Measurement - pre-packaged goods.

Removal of bees - council land

We will remove bees from council land if the bees are causing a risk to public health and safety. Hives that are more than 2 metres above the ground will generally not be removed.

Swarming bees are not removed unless they have settled for at least 48 hours and started to form a hive.

To report a bee hive that is causing a nuisance or is a public health and safety risk, please call our Customer Relations Officers on 8384 0666.

Every attempt will be made to relocate the bees without destroying them. However at times, access may be difficult and destruction may be the only option.

Removal - private land

On private land, it is the resident's responsibility to manage bees that form a hive and cause a nuisance. Hives may be removed by an apiarist or destroyed by a pest controller. Please refer to the Yellow Pages or other resources to select a provider who will provide this service for a fee.


Council land

Where a European wasp nest is found on council land, please contact the Customer Relations team on 8384 0666. We will need the exact location of the nest as it is not possible to confirm the nest location from the sighting of a few airborne wasps.

Private land

Council does not provide a European wasp removal service. Please refer to the Yellow Pages or other resources to locate a licensed pest controller who will destroy the nest for a fee.


Possums are a protected species and are territorial in nature.

It is illegal to handle, interfere or trap any native animal, including possums, without a permit. Possum permits can only be obtained from DEH.

For information and assistance about animal trapping and removal, please refer to our Trapping a nuisance animal page.

For further information about possums, refer to the Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR).

Rats and mice

If you are a resident, rat cages are available for hire to assist with the removal of vermin from your property.

For more information and assistance about animal trapping and removal, please refer to our Trapping a nuisance animal page.

If you believe you have a rat infestation which is causing a nuisance, please visit our Nuisance Impact Assessment page for further advice and information.

Reporting nuisance animals

Animal, bird and insect keeping has the potential to cause a nuisance if enclosures are incorrectly located or maintained, food and waste is not managed or animal behaviour is not suited to the location.

Nuisances may include excessive odours, noise (especially from roosters) and dust as well as fly breeding, rates, mice and other pests.

If we receive a report about any of these problems, we will contact the resident and discuss options for resolving the issue.

If the problem continues, we may issue an 'order' to the owner of the property directing them to address the issue.

Please refer to our Nuisance Impact Assessment page for further advice and information on how to report nuisance animals. 

If the nuisance animal is a dog, visit our page - Barking dogs.