All cats born after the 1 July 2018 must be desexed by a registered veterinary surgeon:

  • Before it is 6 months of age, or;
  • Within 28 days after the owner takes possession of the cat, or;
  • If the owner of a cat is granted an extension of time, before the day specified in the exemption.

For more information, please visit

Free desexing program (suspended until further notice)

This program has been suspended until further notice.
For more information please visit theRSPCA website.

For the first time, RSPCA South Australia and Onkaparinga Council are working together to implement a targeted free cat desexing program – the largest of its kind ever in Australia – available to all residents of the Onkaparinga District. The joint program aims to spay/neuter and microchip 2,000 cats over 2 years. 


In South Australia, all dogs and cats must be microchipped and registered in Dogs and Cats Online. Puppies and kittens must be microchipped:

  • Before it is sold, or;
  • Before it reaches 12 weeks of age, or;
  • Within 28 days of an owner taking possession of the dog or cat, or;
  • If a veterinarian has granted an extension of time, before the extension of time has expired.

For more information, please visit

Important information on Feline Panleukopenia (or feline parvovirus)

The RSPCA advises that Adelaide has recently experienced an increase in the prevalence of Feline Panleukopenia (or feline parvovirus).

They strongly recommend that you have your cat vaccinated prior to booking in for the free spay/neuter and microchipping program. 

To find out more or register for the program, visit the RSPCA website


Animal registrations are due by 31 August each year.

Due to the COVID–19 pandemic, we encourage you to renew online instead of visiting a council office.

Renew registration

Visit Dogs and Cats Online to renew registration, register a new animal, complete microchip/desexing records or notify us if the animal moves to a new address, dies or is missing for more than 72 hours. Transferring your dog or cat to a new owner? Transfer ownership online to another person. New owners must be provided with the certificate of registration (renewal notice) and transfer code.

Dogs and Cats Online

Cat containment

Cats do not need to roam outdoors to be happy. Providing their basic needs are met, cats enjoy longer and healthier lives when safely confined.

For great suggestions on how to contain your cat and enrich its environment check out Good Cats play at home.

Stray cats

Reduce the number of semi-owned cats

If you own a cat and can no longer care for it, do not dump it. Not only is this cruel but it is also illegal under the Animal Welfare Act 1985. Try to re-home the cat or take it to a shelter.

Do not feed a cat that is not yours

Feeding a cat that is not yours is not caring for it.

Take it to your local vet or a shelter. The cat will be scanned for a microchip, examined for a desexing tattoo and have a general health check.

If it is unowned or cannot be reunited with its owner, you have the option of taking full ownership of the cat or it can be adopted.

If you decide to keep a stray cat, you need to be prepared to do the responsible thing and have it desexed and consider containing it to your property.

Feeding unowned cats allows them to breed, continuing the cycle of nuisance and feral cats spreading disease and killing wildlife.

Nuisance cats

There are things you can do to discourage persistent nuisance cats. Visit the Dog and Cat Board website for proven tips and advice.

If the nuisance persists after you have taken reasonable steps to address the issue, contact our Community Safety Team on 8384 0666.

Our officers may be able to provide you with further advice on how to deter cats from entering your property.

Cat cage hire

The RSPCA is not accepting cats until further notice. 
Cat cage hire is only available to catch your own cat.

Residents can access our cat cage hire program in order to trap nuisance stray cats on their property. Trapping should only be considered as a last resort.

For more information about trapping nuisance cats and to book a cage, please click here: Trapping a nuisance animal for removal from your property.

Cat Owner's Handbook

The Dog and Cat Management Board has published its latest edition of the  Cat Owners’ Handbook  which provides:

  • Information on how to care for your cat
  • Strategies to prevent your cat causing public nuisance or injury
  • Information on the legal requirements for owning a cat in South Australia


Buying or breeding cats and dogs

Before buying a dog or cat

Check that the person you're buying a dog or cat from is registered using the Breeder Search at  Dogs and Cats Online

 As a buyer, you should expect the following:

  • Name, address and phone number of the seller
  • Name, address and phone number of each breeder involved in breeding the dog or cat for sale and their Dogs and Cats Online (DACO) breeder number(s)
  • Any vaccination details, name and address of the vet who desexed the dog or cat (if desexed), and any other vet treatment the animal has received
  • The dog or cat has been microchipped prior to sale
  • Name and address of the microchip implanter, microchip number and date of procedure, registries the microchip information is stored on
  • Any vet exemptions from microchipping or desexing
  • Details of any known illness or medical condition
  • For dogs, any control order on the dog

Help for breeders and new owners

The Dog and Cat Management Board's pamphlet buying or selling a dog or cat? provides useful information to help breeders and buyers/owners understand their obligations to the mandatory desexing, microchipping, registration laws and what to record in Dogs and Cats Online.

Do you intend to sell dogs or cats you have bred?

There are new laws regulating the breeding and selling of dogs and cats:

For further information please visit the Dog and Cat Management Board.




Residents wishing to surrender their pet(s) must book an appointment with the RSPCA.

Council do NOT take in surrendered animals.

Book online