Pests and wildlife

Wild birds including the Little Corella

We do not play a role in the control of wild birds.

For further information about native or wild birds, please refer to The Department for Environment and Water or phone 8204 1910.


Council only responds to snake removal requests on council land or in council buildings.

If you see a snake:

  • Leave it alone. Snakes are generally shy and will not attack unless provoked, so it's best to leave them be.
  • Inside your home, get all people and pets out of the room immediately. Shut the door and fill the gap underneath with a towel, then call a professional snake catcher for assistance.
  • outside - watch where it goes. If it's heading for the bush or an open paddock you probably won't see it again. If it disappears into a shed or under a vehicle, then you may need to call a snake catcher.

For further information and advice, please visit Department for Environment and Water 

Please call 8384 0666 to request removal of a snake from council property. 


Are you looking for bee keeping?

Removal of bees - council land

We will remove bees from council land if the bees are causing a risk to public health and safety. Hives that are more than 2 metres above the ground will generally not be removed.

Swarming bees are not removed unless they have settled for at least 48 hours and started to form a hive.

To report a bee hive that is causing a nuisance or is a public health and safety risk, please call our Customer Relations Officers on 8384 0666 or report online below.

Report nuisance bees

Every attempt will be made to relocate the bees without destroying them. However at times, access may be difficult and destruction may be the only option.

Removal - private land

On private land, it is the resident's responsibility to manage bees that form a hive and cause a nuisance. Hives may be removed by an apiarist or destroyed by a pest controller. Please refer to the Yellow Pages or other resources to select a provider who will provide this service for a fee.


Council land

Where a European wasp nest is found on council land, please contact the Customer Relations team on 8384 0666 or report online below. We will need the exact location of the nest as it is not possible to confirm the nest location from the sighting of a few airborne wasps.

Report wasps on council land

Private land

Council does not provide a European wasp removal service. Please refer to the Yellow Pages or other resources to locate a licensed pest controller who will destroy the nest for a fee.


Possums are a protected species and are territorial in nature.

It is illegal to handle, interfere or trap any native animal, including possums, without a permit. Possum permits can only be obtained from DEH.

For information and assistance about animal trapping and removal, please refer to our Trapping a nuisance animal page.

For further information about possums, refer to the Department for Environment and Water.

Rats and mice

If you are a resident, rat cages are available for hire to assist with the removal of vermin from your property.

For more information and assistance about animal trapping and removal, please refer to our Trapping a nuisance animal page.

If you believe you have a rat infestation which is causing a nuisance, please visit our Nuisance Impact Assessment page for further advice and information.

Rats are very adaptable animals, making their homes in houses, sheds, garages and gardens. They eat rubbish, pet food, food scraps in uncovered bins and compost heaps, fallen fruit and nuts, bird seeds and vegetables growing in gardens. Rats and mice are very widespread throughout the metropolitan area and in our community and pose more of a nuisance than a health risk.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to completely eradicate rats. However, as a property owner or occupier, you are responsible for controlling rats on your own property.

We can help with general rodent control and advice. For more information on identifying and controlling the breeding of vermin on your property, please download the fact sheet below on rodent prevention and control.

Rat prevention and control fact sheet(PDF, 502KB)

We will investigate situations where properties have a large accumulation of rubbish/putrescible waste or are considered to be in a squalid state. Our investigation will include a site inspection of your property, as well as the property that you are concerned about. We cannot investigate individual rat sightings or rats that are attracted to your vegetables/fruit trees etc. If you can’t adequately control rats and vermin on your property, we recommend you contact a professional pest contractor.

Fruit fly

Fruit fly restrictions have eased. Many fruit fly outbreaks have now ended, including those near the Onkaparinga area.

There are currently no restrictions on the movement of fruit and vegetables in metropolitan Adelaide.

For more information please visit the website.

Inch ants and bull ants

Inch ants and bull ants can be a nuisance in parks and reserves when they affect areas where children play. 

You can report an ants nest on our reserves.

Report inch/bull ants on reserves


Cover up, repel, eliminate Mosquitoes are most active during summer. Mosquitoes are not only an irritating, biting insect, they also spread disease. By identifying and eliminating potential breeding sites, together with simple self-protection measures, the risk of being bitten is greatly reduced.

Mosquitoes breed in calm, still water mainly during the summer months. 

Common breeding sites include:

  • Unused or stagnant swimming pools
  • Rainwater tanks

Visit the SA Health Fight the Bite website for more information or contact the Environmental Health team on 8384 0666 for any further questions.

Report nuisance mosquitoes