Participating in your local council election is one of the most direct ways you can make a difference to everyday life in your community.
Councils are part of the democratic framework of Australia and the community gets the chance to elect its Council Members every four years. The next periodic Council Elections will happen in November 2022.
Local Government elections provide an opportunity to elect representatives who aspire, through the decisions they will be empowered to make on behalf of the community, to contribute to effective local government.
Unlike State and Federal elections, it is not compulsory to vote in South Australian council elections and all voting is done by post. Enrolled voters receive a voting package through the mail and return their votes in a reply-paid envelope.
The rules for elections are set out in the Local Government (Elections) Act 1999 - an act of the South Australian Parliament.
2022 Councils Elections Timetable
- Roll Close - 5pm, Friday 29 July 2022
- Nominations Open - Tuesday 23 August 2022
- Nominations Close - 12noon, Tuesday 6 September 2022
- Mail out of voting materials - Friday 14 October 2022 - Thursday 20 October 2022
- Close of voting - 5pm, Thursday 10 November 2022
- Scrutiny and Count - 9am, Saturday 12 November 2022
The voters roll for council elections consists of two components – the state (House of Assembly) electoral roll, and the council supplementary roll.
Prior to the next local government election in 2022:
- If you are on the State electoral roll you will automatically receive a voting pack mailed to your registered address.
- Persons not on the State Electoral Roll wishing to vote in the Council Election must complete an enrolment form of eligibility and return to Council by close of Roll, 5pm on 29 July 2022.
Form 1 – Council Voters Roll Natural Person(PDF, 631KB)
Use this form if you are a resident in our Council area & are not on the House of Assembly Roll for State Elections, if you are a sole owner of property in our council area but do not live in our Council area & if you are an occupier of property in our Council area but you don’t live at that property
Form 2 – Council Voters Roll Body Corporate(PDF, 705KB)
Use this form for if you are a sole business owner or occupier
Form 3 – Council Voters Roll Groups Owners/Occupiers(PDF, 812KB)
Use this form if your property is jointly owned or occupied by businesses, individual people or a combination of both
To find out more about council elections visit the Local Government Association SA website for further information.
Local Government Association SA website
Electoral Commission SA
Are you thinking of nominating for your local council?
Nominations open Tuesday 23 August 2022.
Refer to the Electoral Commission SA website for eligibility criteria.
To find out which ward you live in, view the city wide interactive and individual ward maps.