White's Mill Row Cottages

Address: 110 Little Road
Suburb: Whites Valley
Title reference: CT-5400/348
Allot No: Alt 7 Sec 219
Plan No: FP 10875
Heritage ID No: 5571
Council Heritage ID: 552
Type of listing: Local Heritage Place

 

Description

In 1844, Mr Samuel White built a flour mill, in what was then known as White's Gully, about three miles west of Willunga. Four years later, another mill, owned by a Co-operative company but later belonging to Mr Butterworth, was built near it.

Both mills despatched flour to Port Willunga, per bullock dray, for export. Mr White owned a ship named the 'Aldinga' which was used for the purpose of exporting flour. At that time, flour was a very scarce and expensive commodity and these mills were therefore a great boon to the community. This small row of cottages dates from 1850 or earlier and was one of the buildings constructed by Samuel White as part of his flour mill. By 1867 this complex included the mill, the worker's cottages, various residences and other associated sheds and buildings. The cottages were close to the mill itself along the diversion from the straight road between sections which became Little Road. The cottages were used as dwellings for mill workers, and were known as 'Rotten Row'.

During the 1930's the cottages were occupied by John and Selina Cliff (who both died during the 1940's in their eighties). A photograph taken in 1930 shows the Cliffs outside the back door of their cottage. Apparently Mrs Cliff took great pride in caring for the slate floors in the cottage and she used the 'blue' water from washing days to wash the slates (according to her granddaughter Jean Capps). The traditional row form of the cottages is similar to others built within the Willunga area for a similar purpose. There were row cottages constructed for workers at the Delabole Slate quarry in Willunga which have the same form as these.

The row cottages in Paxton Square at Burra also exhibit similarities in form and scale. It would appear that the building was constructed as two dwellings with a third added on the western end, as there is a dividing quoining line which would indicate originally an end wall to which another dwelling has been added.

The row has a cement plinth inserted on the northern side in an attempt to solve the problem of rising damp and fretting mortar. However, this has exacerbated the problem and a more appropriate solution would be gravity chemical feed damproofing and repointing in a low cement mortar. The roof retains short-length corrugated iron, although its original ogee gutter has been replaced by D profile. Two low brick chimneys remain along the roof ridge.

The skillion extension to the dwelling on the eastern end is retained although the high chimney which is visible in the photo taken when the mill was being demolished has been reduced in height.

A row of outdoor privies still remains on the rear end of the allotment on which the cottages are constructed however, these are now used as storage and are in a dilapidated state.

The garden retains early almond trees and other planting including Wormwood hedging (artemisia).

A new laundry/bathroom has also been constructed close to the cottages, but not attached.

 

Photos courtesy of: McDougall and Vines Conservation and Heritage Consultants (1997).

Location

110 Little Road, Whites Valley 5172  View Map

Google Map