Buying or breeding dogs and cats
Before buying a dog or cat
Check that the person you're buying a dog or cat from is registered using the Breeder Search at Dogs and Cats Online
As a buyer, you should expect the following:
- Name, address and phone number of the seller
- Name, address and phone number of each breeder involved in breeding the dog or cat for sale and their Dogs and Cats Online (DACO) breeder number(s)
- Any vaccination details, name and address of the vet who desexed the dog or cat (if desexed), and any other vet treatment the animal has received
- The dog or cat has been microchipped prior to sale
- Name and address of the microchip implanter, microchip number and date of procedure, registries the microchip information is stored on
- Any vet exemptions from microchipping or desexing
- Details of any known illness or medical condition
- For dogs, any control order on the dog
Help for breeders and new owners
The Dog and Cat Management Board's pamphlet buying or selling a dog or cat? provides useful information to help breeders and buyers/owners understand their obligations to the mandatory desexing, microchipping, registration laws and what to record in Dogs and Cats Online.
Do you intend to sell dogs or cats you have bred?
There are new laws regulating the breeding and selling of dogs and cats:
For further information please visit the Dog and Cat Management Board.