Freedom of Information

What is Freedom of Information?

The purpose of Freedom of Information (FOI) is to make the business of Council open and accountable to all.

Apply for an FOI request


Request for Access Application Form 2023.pdf(PDF, 313KB)

FOI allows you to:

  • Access (as much as possible) documents within the Council's possession.
  • Amend documents that relate to you which are incomplete, incorrect, out-of-date or misleading.


What kind of documents can I access?

FOI allows you to apply to have access to any document within the Council's possession including, paper based documents as well as computer files, plans, photographs, videos and audio tapes.

For any development or building related enquires, please contact Development Services in the first instance. If your query remains unresolved, then an FOI process may be appropriate.

Documents held by council that do not require a FOI application

Many of council's documents such as minutes and agendas for Council and Council committees, annual reports, budget statements, voter’s rolls etc, are already available on our website. Many public documents are also made available for viewing or purchase at our head office.

Are there any documents that are not available?

While FOI aims to provide access to the greatest amount of information possible, some exemptions are necessary to ensure that other people's privacy is not invaded or the proper administration of the Council is not affected.

The types of documents that are exempt include:

  • Policy documents from before 1 January, 1987.
  • Documents subject to legal professional privilege.
  • Documents that contain trade secrets or information of commercial value.
  • Documents affecting law enforcement and public safety.
  • Documents that would lead to an unreasonable disclosure of another person's affairs

FOI Information Statement(PDF, 226KB)

Details required to lodge:

  • Specify that you are making an application under the Freedom of Information Act 1991.
  • Your name and address.
  • Specify the documents you would like access to or what matter they concern.
  • Defines whether the documents contain information about your personal affairs.
  • Request the form of access to the document (do you wish to inspect it, or have a copy?).
  • Includes the appropriate application fee.
  • Stipulate whether you are financially disadvantaged or have a concession card (please provide a copy of supporting document).

Submit your requests to:

Can I correct inaccurate documents about me?

Under FOI you may apply to the Council to have documents corrected if they are incomplete, incorrect, misleading or out-of-date. Application forms are available at Council or you can download the application form above.

How long will it take to process my application?

Applications will be dealt with as soon as practicable (within 30 days). In certain circumstances we may need to extend the timeframe for your application. We will notify you within 20 days if an extension is necessary, and the reasons why.

Will I have to pay?

There is usually a fee for making an application - currently this is $40.75.

Advance payments

The FOI Act allows for the application of charges for the processing of your application and we advise applicants of any charges in our Determination letter. 

If we estimate the cost of your request is likely to exceed $100.00, we may choose to write to you and request a deposit/advance payment in line with the FOI Act.

Fees and Charges



Application fee



$15.40 per 15 minutes

Sorting and compiling

$15.40 per 15 minutes


$15.40 per 15 minutes


0.25 cents per page

Postage and handling

$8.85 (small) $10.65 (large)


Are there any concessions?

If you are a concession card holder, your fees will be waived. Proof of concession is required at time of application.

Who can help me with my FOI application?

All FOI applications must be lodged directly with the Council which holds the documents you need access to.

Please contact Council's FOI officer on 08 8384 0666 or if you need help clarifying which documents to request.

Submit requests to: