Outdoor dining on council road verge

If you would like your customers to dine outside on land owned by council or if you are a retail business wanting to display goods for sale on the footpath or land owned by council, you will need a permit.

To make the process of obtaining a permit easier, council has pre-assessed mainstreet areas within the city and have identified locations where outdoor dining and footpath trading is possible without requiring a traffic assessment.

Please allow up to 4 weeks for the request to be considered.

We aim to support all requests, however in some instances the proposed activity may not be deemed appropriate and therefore may not be approved.

How to apply

Step 2.Check the pre-approved mainstreet areas to see if you need a traffic assessment

If your business is green on the map, outdoor dining and/or footpath trading is possible. Please continue with your application.

If your business is red or orange on the map, outdoor dining and/or footpath trading may be possible, however a further traffic assessment may be required.

View this map in full screen

Step 3.Download and complete the application form

Application form(PDF, 46KB)

Step 4.Attach the required documents

  • Plans or drawings showing the proposed location and dimensions of the outdoor dining area, including location of tables, chairs, protective bollards, planters, umbrellas, heaters or other items.
  • A copy of your application to Consumer and Business Services requesting an extension of liquor licence (if applicable)
  • Proof of Public Liability insurance to a minimum of $20 million (once your application is approved, your public liability insurance will need to note council's interest and a copy provided to council).

Step 5.Arrange payment

To arrange payment you may visit one of our Council offices or call 8384 0666 and ask to speak with front counter staff.

Step 6.Submit the form


Permits and Licences Officer
City of Onkaparinga
PO Box 1
Noarlunga Centre SA 5168