Food business and food event notification

A food business is any business that handles food for sale, with the exception of some primary industry activities.  Food manufacturers, restaurants, take-away and supermarkets are clearly food businesses. Less obvious food businesses include bed and breakfast establishments, food stalls at fetes, cold stores, service stations, alcohol suppliers and cinemas that sell packaged food and food provided under a contract of service such as supper served at a dinner dance or lunch served at a staff canteen.

Event notification

It is a legal requirement that all food businesses and food events within the council area, complete the Food Business Notification form (below) before commencing any food handling operations. This information will ensure we have correct and up to date contact details, location and the nature of the food business. The form is only required to be completed once, unless the ownership, contact details, location or nature of the food business changes, and another notification will be required. There is no fee for notification however, penalties can apply if businesses fail to notify.

For more information about starting a food business, please visit SA Health's website page: Starting a food business.

Please note that the notification form below can be used to notify of us of any changes to your food business, such as change of name or address.

What is a permanent food business?

A permanent food business is any business that handles food for sale within a permanent building/location.

What is a temporary food event?

Temporary food events are structures set up for a specific, occasional event such as a fete or fair where the cost of providing premises to a permanent standard is unnecessary for food safety.

What is required to hold a Sausage sizzle

Sausage sizzles and barbecues are a popular way to raise money for charities and community organisations. Before operating a Sausage Sizzle, you must notify the council of your event.


Complete the notification form

What happens next

Permanent food business and temporary food event

Once you have completed and submitted the food business and event notification form, an acknowledgement letter with your licence number will be sent to you.

Sausage sizzle event

Once you have completed and submitted your food business and event notification form, you will receive an email acknowledgement which can be used as proof of registration. Please keep a copy for your records.

To ensure the safety of your sausage sizzle, The following is required:

  • Finish preparing raw meat before leaving for the site such as slicing, marinating or skewering.
  • Pack raw meat into insulated boxes with ice bricks for transportation. Meat is required to be maintained under temperature control at all times (i.e. below 5°C or above 60°C).
  • Handle food with tongs, disposable gloves or other equipment. Use separate equipment to handle raw and cooked meats. Hands should not be used unless absolutely necessary, and then handwashing facilities must be available. Hands must be washed after handling raw meats.
  • Keep cooked meat and salads separate from raw meat at all times to prevent contamination.
  • Cover food to protect it from contamination.
  • Sanitising is required in order to reduce micro-organisms on the surfaces of utensils and food contact surfaces after they have been cleaned. Ensure the food grade sanitiser is used on food contact surfaces before setting up, and then throughout the day (i.e. at least every 2 hours and when surfaces/utensils are cleaned).
  • Use clean and dry utensils for serving the food —never place cooked meat back on the trays that held the raw meat.
  • Cook chicken, sausages and hamburgers until juices run clear - steaks can be cooked to preference.
  • Throw left-over food away unless refrigeration equipment is available to rapidly cool the food.
  • Should you have any questions please contact an Environmental Health Officer on 8384 0666.