Mayor's Garden Competition
Entries for the 2020 Mayor’s Garden Competition are now open.
It’s that time of year again, where we celebrate our City’s keen and passionate gardeners. It’s pleasing to see the passion that people in our community have in establishing and caring for their beautiful gardens.
With gardeners across our city spending more time than ever at home in their gardens now is the perfect time to enter your garden into the competition.
The 2020 Mayor’s Garden Competition recognises local gardeners and encourages community interest in local gardens which enhances the presentation and liveability of our city.
Entries are now open in the following categories with prizes on offer:
Submit your entry
Entry forms are available below, at our libraries and council offices.
2020 Mayor's Garden Competition entry form(PDF, 143KB)
Judging will take place between 14-16 October.
Each entry will be judged on the following items:
- First impressions
Entries close on the 18 September 2020.
Presentations Due to COVID-19 restrictions, details of the presentation will be advised to nominees closer to the date.
For further information please contact Civic Governance on 8384 0666 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions of entry
- The garden must be located within the City of Onkaparinga.
- An entry form together with a photograph (electronic or hard copy) of your garden must be submitted.
- The garden must be accessible to the judging panel.
- One entry per address, one category per nomination. However, the judges reserve the right to change the category of an entry at their discretion.
- The judging panel consists of City of Onkaparinga Elected Members and staff.
- Judges decision is final.
Hall of Fame
Gardens that have received a Mayors Garden Competition award twice are automatically entered into the Hall of Fame. Hall of Fame inductees are still eligible to participate in the Mayors Garden Competition but are ineligible to receive an award. All Hall of Fame gardens receive a certificate of recognition and will be featured on our website.
Congratulations to the following award recipients for the 2019 Mayor’s Garden Competition:
- Best Residential Garden: Mark Staniforth
- Best Community Garden: Elizabeth House Positive Ageing Centre
- Best Edible Community Garden: Aldinga Community Centre
- Best School Garden: Pimpala Primary School
- Best Edible School Garden: Clarendon Primary School
The following are the award recipients for 2018:
- Open School: Tatachilla Lutheran College, McLaren Vale
- Edible Garden: Individual: Andrew Hickman of Aldinga Beach
- Edible Garden - School and Hall of Fame Entrant: O’Sullivan Beach School
- Rural: Robert Laffer of McLaren Vale
- Encouragement Award: Craigburn Primary School
- Encouragement Award: Clarendon Primary School
The following are the award recipients for 2017:
- Highly Commended: Rachel McMillian of Aldinga
- Edible Garden - School: Christies Beach High School – Bush Tucker
- Edible Garden – School: Pimpala Primary School, Morphett Vale
- Edible Garden – Individual: Debbie Butler of Aldinga Beach
- Edible Garden – Individual: Michele Jarldorn of Happy Valley
- Open Residential Verge: Diana Paolo of Happy Valley
- Open Residential: Jane Baddock of Port Willunga
- Courtyard: Fenna Petit of Christie Downs
- Rural: Louise Fuller and Della Rowley of Coromandel East
- Hall of Fame Entrant: Fenna Petit