Dogs, cats and other animals

Dog and cat laws

The following are requirements of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995

Microchipping and desexing

Dogs and Cats must be microchipped before 12 weeks of age or at the point of sale.

Dogs and Cats born after 30 June 2018 must also be desexed before 6 months of age or within 28 days of ownership.

A veterinary surgeon may grant an extension of time to desex a dog or cat or exempt an animal from desexing or microchipping if it poses an undue risk to health or adversely affects the growth, development or wellbeing of the dog or cat.

Microchip details must be recorded on the statewide database Dogs and Cats Online.

Breeders and sellers

There are new laws regulating the breeding and selling of dogs and cats.

For further information please refer to the Dog and Cat Management Board.


Choosing a Cat or Kitten?

For advice on selecting your next cat or kitten and to search cats available for adoption, visit RSPCA.

Cat containment

Cats do not need to roam outdoors to be happy. Providing their basic needs are met, cats enjoy longer and healthier lives when safely confined.

Suggestions for keeping your cat entertained indoors are available in the Good Cats Play at Home booklet.

Stray cats

Reduce the number of semi-owned cats

If you own a cat and can no longer care for it, do not dump it. Not only is this cruel but it is also illegal under the Animal Welfare Act 1985. Try to rehome the cat or take it to a shelter.

Do not feed a cat that is not yours Feeding a cat that is not yours is not caring for it.

Take it to your local vet or a shelter. It will be scanned for a microchip, examined for a desexing tattoo and have a general health check.

If it is unowned or cannot be reunited with its owner, you have the option of taking full ownership of the cat or it can be adopted.

If you decide to keep a stray cat you need to be prepared to do the responsible thing and have it desexed and consider containing it to your property.

Feeding unowned cats allows them to breed, continuing the cycle of nuisance and feral cats spreading disease and killing wildlife.

Nuisance cats

There are things you can do to discourage persistent nuisance cats, visit Good Cat SA Nuisance cats for proven tips and advice.

If the nuisance persists after you have taken reasonable steps to address the issue, contact our Community Safety Team on 8384 0666. Our officers may be able to provide you with further advice on how to deter cats from entering your property.

Cat cages are also available for hire.


Horses are permitted on most beaches with 24 hour access during the winter months May to September inclusive with access between the hours of midnight and 9 am from October to April inclusive. 

Horse access is permitted on the following beaches:

  • Maslin Beach
  • Port Willunga
  • Aldinga Beach
  • Silver Sands
  • Sellicks Beach
  • Moana
  • Southport
  • Port Noarlunga
  • Christies Beach

Horse access is not permitted at the following locations:

  • O'Sullivan Beach boat ramp
  • Dog off-lead areas at Moana

You must clean up after your horse and failure to comply can lead to penalties under By-law 6 Foreshore.(PDF, 3MB)


If you come across a snake visit for information and advice.

Council only responds to snake removal requests on council land or in council buildings.

Please call 8384 0666 to request a snake removal from council property. 

Other animals

Animal and insect keeping can lead to nuisance in the form of dust, odour, noise, pests or safety that has an adverse impact on neighbours ie chickens, roosters, bees or bird feeding. If the nuisance animal is a dog, visit our page - Barking dogs.

If you are impacted by nuisance animals, try to resolve the issue by speaking to the animal owner first.  Make the owner aware of the impact of the activity in a politely worded letter or conversation.

If the nuisance persists after you have taken reasonable steps to address the issue, please complete and submit a Nuisance Impact Statement.

Our officers may be able to provide you with further advice on how to resolve the nuisance.  If the activity unreasonably interferes with your enjoyment of an area, we may utilise powers under the Local Nuisance and Litter Control Act to direct a person to abate the nuisance.