Dog exercise and prohibited areas
Unfenced exercise areas
We have approximately 450 spectacular reserves and diverse parks that are available for the off-leash exercise of dogs along with almost 10 kilometres of our foreshore.
Before deciding if your dog should exercise off leash you should consider if your dog listens to you and immediately obeys your voice commands, in all environments, even when your dog is distracted.
If you are not confident that your dog will respond and obey your voice or signals you should not allow your dog to exercise off leash. Alternatively you should place your dog on a leash.
When your dog is exercising off leash in a public place you must
- Take responsibility for your dog
- Supervise your dog
- Ensure your dog is in close proximity and within eyesight
- Prevent your dog from disturbing or harming people, birds or animals.
Dog on-leash and prohibited areas
Restrictions on dogs* apply in certain public areas for equity, safety or conservation. The following restrictions are in effect and are identified by signs in the area.
*accredited assistance dogs are typically exempt from restrictions.
- On public roads, footpaths, car parks and private places (without the consent of the occupier)
- On any shared path (paths used by pedestrians and cyclists)
- Thalassa Park, Aberfoyle Park (on shared paths - paths used by pedestrians and cyclists)
- When leaving foreshore areas during day light saving months (October to April)
- Willunga Court House, 61 High Street, Willunga
- Kestrel Circuit Reserve, Seaford Rise
- The portion of Local Government land adjoining the Onkaparinga River south of River Road, Port Noarlunga
- Tangari Regional Park, Woodcroft - the areas of well vegetated reserve traversed by walking trails
- Byards Road Wetlands, Byards Road, Reynella East
Dog prohibited areas
- In any playground (or within 3 metres of the playground if there is no enclosed area)
- Within 20 metres of a skate facility (excluding any shared path in that area)
- On school, kindergarten, child care centre or pre-school grounds (without the permission of the person in charge)
- On any jetty
- Portion of Port Noarlunga Beach between the hours of 10am to 8pm on any day when daylight savings is in force. View signage (486K)(PDF, 341KB)
- A.E. Young Reserve, Port Noarlunga South (known as Jubilee playground)
- Hart Road Wetlands, located in Aldinga Beach, Seaford Rise and Pedlers Creek Reserve
- When the Open Market - Christies Beach is being held between 8am to 2pm, located at 121 Beach Rd Christies Beach
- Local Government land immediately south of Saltfleet St Bridge and west of Weatherald Terrace, Port Noalrunga South.
Dog owner responsibilities
- Supervise your dog at all times
- Ensure your dog is identified by its current registration disc
- Pick up after your dog
- Have effective control over your dog
- Follow the information/instructions on council signs