Private property

The following categories of fencing do not require Council approval in general residential areas.

  • Colorbond, chainmesh, zincalume or similar, not exceeding 2.1 metres in height
  • masonry (brick/stone) walls not exceeding 1 metre in height
  • fences not exceeding 1 metre high within 6m of the intersection of two boundaries facing a road.

All fences exceeding the above requirements require development approval from council.

To find out if you need approval, the State Government's Approval Wizard provides a guide - Find out if you need approval

In addition, swimming pool safety fencing require will require development approval from council in conjunction with an application for a pool/spa or where being constructed in relation to a pool/spa approved on or after 1 July 1993.

Applying for Development Approval

If you need Development approval, you will need to fill in an application form, provide plans of the proposed fence, and pay the relevant fees. Please refer to Plan SA's website to lodge the application.

Fences and your neighbour(s)

Whether you need Council approval or not you should consider your legal obligations as well as the convenience and safety of your neighbours if you are building a fence on a common boundary. It is always best to speak to your neighbour before undertaking any fencing work. There may be legal requirements to notify your neighbour, and to share costs of the fencing. These responsibilities lie between neighbours and are not subject to Council approval or control. Information on your rights and obligations under the Fences Act may be obtained from the:

Legal Services Commission of South Australia

helpline 1300 366 424

Encumbrances and easements

If your property has an easement and your fence proposes to cross it, you may need the approval of the authority in which the easement vests. Encumbrances can also sometimes apply to a lane which may restrict the type, size and location of fences. Encumbrances are enforced by the Encumbror (usually the original developer) and not by Council. It is recommended you check your Certificate of Title for any restrictive easements or encumbrances.

Adjoining council property

If you wish to erect or repair a fence that shares a boundary with council property, a notice can be served on council requesting us to share the cost.

Note that council will not contribute towards the costs associated with fencing if the property:

  • adjoins a walkway
  • adjoins a reserve which is over 1 hectare in size
  • is a drainage reserve
  • adjoins a public road or road reserve
  • is a buffer reserve