Do I need Development Approval?

South Australia's Development Act states, in most cases, that council approval is required before development can be undertaken.

This means that:

  • any construction, alteration, addition to or demolition of a building, structure or certain trees,

  • a change in current use of land, or

  • anything that modifies a state or local heritage item

 requires formal Development Approval.

More information

Making a Development Application(PDF, 44KB) 


Minor Development

Development such as low fences, small sheds or open pergolas may not require approval - please use the following links or contact council's Development Support team on 8384 0666 for more information.

State Government's Approval Wizard provides a guide for minor development - Find out if you need approval

Home Based Businesses

It is possible for a person to run a small-scale business from residential premises in some circumstances and only under strict conditions.

Please see council’s Home Activities and Home Based Businesses fact sheet(PDF, 170KB)


Next - lodging an application