Part time contract for 12 months working minimum of 38 hours per fortnight
Monday – Friday: $22.31 per hour
Saturday before 12pm: $27.89, after 12pm: $33.47
Sunday and Public Holidays: $44.63
All shifts will attract an additional 76c per hour supervisory rate + 10% Super
- Opportunity for a Café Attendant to join an award-winning Visitor Centre
- We love supporting local and have our own kitchen garden, in an idyllic location
- Prepare and produce menu items featuring regional produce
The McLaren Vale and Fleurieu Coast Visitor Centre offers a variety of services including visitor information, art gallery, gift shop, café; functions and events and attracts over 70,000 visitors each year. The Visitor Centre is surrounded by lush gardens and vines in the heart of the McLaren Vale wine region and is the gateway to the Fleurieu Peninsula. The centre is operated by a small team of staff supported by a cohort of volunteers, and prides itself on delivering a quality experience.
About the Position
The Café Attendant position reports to the Centre Manager and provides front and back of house support for the Visitor Centre café. The position coordinates daily café operations which includes;
- supervising casual café staff and volunteers
- opening and closing the café
- food/drink preparation and service
- ordering of stock
- planning and delivering catering requirements for functions and events
- working functions and events (outside of centre opening hours as required).
The café produces a large proportion of menu items featuring regional produce (including produce from the café’s vegie garden) so the Café Attendant will need to show flair and initiative in planning, preparing and presentation of all food and beverage menu items. In addition to the Café duties, this position provides support to visitor servicing during busy periods which may include providing visitor information, answering phone calls and general administrative duties.
Opening Hours & Roster
The café opening hours are 9.00am to 4.00pm Monday to Friday, 10.00am – 4.00pm Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays. This position will be rostered over a fortnightly roster, which includes working a minimum of: Monday, Friday and every second weekend plus public holidays, as well as working events which occur outside of centre opening hours.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful applicant will possess the following:
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the hospitality industry in a café environment or similar
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Food preparation experience including planning, cooking and service of café style menu items
- Experience working within a commercial kitchen preferred
- Proven barista skills including specialty coffee and experience with current trends
- Experience catering for large scale events preferred
- Knowledge of the McLaren Vale and Fleurieu Coast region
- Hold current qualification/certificates in Food Safety and Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) or eligible to obtain
- Hold a current motor vehicle driver’s licence
- Be a responsible COVID marshal
- Be eligible to receive a Responsible Person Position of Authority badge
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter telling us how your skills and experience meet our selection criteria found in the position description available on the City of Onkaparinga website.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, persons with a disability and youth are encouraged to apply for this role.
If, after reading the position description you have any questions, or require further information please contact David Mayne, Centre Manager on (08) 8323 9944
The City of Onkaparinga advises that the recruitment process includes a medical assessment, confirmation of experience and stated qualifications.
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be required to show evidence of COVID-19 vaccinations or certified medical exemption prior to attending an interview.
Applications close – 9am Monday 31 January 2022