Freedom of Information
The purpose of Freedom of Information (FOI) is to make the business of Council open and accountable to all.
FOI allows you to:
- Access (as much as possible) documents within the Council's possession.
- Amend documents that relate to you which are incomplete, incorrect, out-of-date or misleading.
FOI allows you to apply to have access to any document within the Council's possession including, paper based documents as well as computer files, plans, photographs, videos and audio tapes.
Many of Council's documents such as minutes and agendas for Council and Council committees, annual reports, budget statements, voter’s rolls etc, are already available on our website. Many public documents are also made available for viewing or purchase at Onkaparinga's Head Office.
While FOI aims to provide access to the greatest amount of information possible, some exemptions are necessary to ensure that other people's privacy is not invaded or the proper administration of the Council is not affected.
- Policy documents from before 1 January, 1987.
- Documents subject to legal professional privilege.
- Documents that contain trade secrets or information of commercial value.
- Documents affecting law enforcement and public safety.
- Documents that would lead to an unreasonable disclosure of another person's affairs.
- Specify that you are making an application under the Freedom of Information Act 1999.
- Your name and address.
- Specify the documents you would like access to or what matter they concern.
- Defines whether the documents contain information about your personal affairs.
- Request the form of access to the document (do you wish to inspect it, or have a copy?).
- Includes the appropriate application fee.
- Stipulate whether you are financially disadvantaged or have a concession card (please provide a copy of supporting document).
Under FOI you may apply to the Council to have documents corrected if they are incomplete, incorrect, misleading or out-of-date. Application forms are available at Council or you can download the application form below.
Applications will be dealt with as soon as practicable (within 30 days). In certain circumstances we may need to extend the timeframe for your application. We will notify you within 20 days if an extension is necessary, and the reasons why.
If you are a concession card holder, your fees will be waived. Proof of concession is required at time of application.
All FOI applications must be lodged directly with the Council which holds the documents you need access to. Please contact Council's FOI officer on (08) 8384 0666 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help clarifying which documents to request.