Youth Recognition Awards 2023
Congratulations to our 2023 recipients
Download our 2023 Youth Recognition Award brochure(PDF, 2MB)
Find out more about the recipients.
Youth Recognition Awards Art Competition
Calling all young artists living in Onkaparinga! We are inviting artists aged 8-25 to submit entries into our 2023 Youth Recognition Awards Art Competition! The winner this year will get the opportunity to showcase their talents at an exhibition during SALA Festival 2023, being mentored by Youth Arts Officer Carly Snoswell as part of the SALA Mentorship Program.
Selected entries will also be showcased at the Youth Recognition Awards Ceremony to be held at the Port Noarlunga Arts Centre on March 27th.
This year we are looking for artwork that responds to one of three key priorities young people want action on:
- Climate Change & The Environment
- Mental Health
- Access & Inclusion
To submit your artwork simply click on the link below.
Submissions closed Monday 20th March 5pm.
Young people are valuable members of our community. They offer unique perspectives, talents and vibrancy which benefit the broader communities in our region. Young people often face challenges that require resilience, creativity and positivity and they demonstrate strengths and abilities to overcome them.
Annually the Onkaparinga Youth Committee assist in delivering the Youth Recognition Awards - where young people are recognised, celebrated and honoured for their outstanding actions in improving their communities, self and securing their futures.
The Youth Recognition Awards 2023 will be held during SA Youth Week on the evening of Monday, March 27 at Port Noarlunga Arts Centre. The event will be invitation only to nominees, family members of nominees, delegates and elected members. Further information on this will be provided closer to the date.
We receive nominations for the awards from a range of sources including teachers, parents, youth workers and community service leaders. We thank the nominators for their time in making nominations and congratulate the young people nominated for their outstanding personal and community contributions and achievements.
In 2023, the award categories below are open for nominations for young people aged 8 to 25:
- Learning Success: A category for young people who have achieved significant academic success whether it be ‘getting the grade’, mentoring other young people to do so or showcased excellence in learning new skills.
- Contribution to Community: An award that acknowledges the young people who give extra time back to community groups, schools and other programs that benefit the people of Onkaparinga.
- Personal Achievement: This category shines a light on those who have overcome adversity and shown resilience through personal hardship to overcome the many challenges life can throw at young people.
- Business, Employment & Social Enterprise: An award to recognise young people who have turned their ideas into business and social enterprise as well as acknowledging those young people who have worked hard to secure employment. This one is for the hard workers, innovative thinkers and change makers!
- Onkaparinga Youth Worker of the Year: This category returns again this year. To be eligible for this award the nominated person can be of any age but must work with young people from the Onkaparinga area. Workers include but are not limited to: Police, Child Protection, Health, Education, Youth Work and Youth Services including those working with young people in the sports and recreation and arts and cultural sector. You do not have to be a ‘youth worker’ per say to be nominated in this category!
(Onkaparinga Council employees are not eligible.)
Submissions for this award will be assessed against a selection criteria for those that have:
- Demonstrated commitment to the wellbeing, participation and capacity building of young people.
- Act as a role models for their peers and excelled at building positive relationships with young people.
- Made significant improvement in policy and practices in engagement, participation and capacity building of young people in the local community.
NOMINATIONS FOR THE YOUTH RECOGNITION AWARDS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2023.
Onkaparinga Youth Committee (OYC)
The OYC is the organising body for the Youth Recognition Awards and consists of young people aged 12-25 years who are passionate about playing an active role in their community. The awards were developed by the OYC as a way of celebrating the valuable contributions young people make to our community.
For more information about the OYC.
If you would like to be a part of the Onkaparinga Youth Committee you can keep an eye on our website for when applications are open.
If you would like more information about the Youth Recognition Awards or the OYC please contact Joshua Stokes, Community Development Youth Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org