Morphett Vale Scotch

The cemetery stands on the site of what was officially St Andrews Church but affectionately called Brodie’s Church—a Church of Scotland that was opened to all Presbyterian denominations. It is situated on the Main South Road, just south of Bains Road.

Brodie's Church was completely destroyed by fire in February 1858 and now all that remains is the cemetery. There are no records before 1866 but some of the old headstones have survived, like that of Henry Brodie 1853 and William Spencer 1854.

The site is the final resting place of many of the area’s early pioneer families including names like Brodie, Benny, Anderson, Holly, Hutchinson and Stewart. There are over 600 people interred in the Scotch Cemetery.

Morphett Vale Scotch cemetery register

Top