Clarendon Kangarilla

This cemetery is situated on Clarendon Road about halfway between the two townships. It was opened in 1875, with the first burial being that of John Hart in December 1875. Before this, there were various small cemeteries attached to churches in both towns.

The Clarendon Wesleyan Cemetery was closed when the new cemetery was opened but the records are held by the City of Onkaparinga. Later in the mid-1900s the remaining surviving headstones were removed from the church grounds, which had become a private dwelling, and erected in the grounds of the Clarendon/Kangarilla Cemetery.

There are 60 known burials in the old Clarendon Wesleyan Cemetery from February 1864 to October 1875. Other places of burials in the two towns were St Ninians at Clarendon from 1850, Wesley (Uniting) Church Kangarilla from 1855 and Bible Christian Churchyard (next to the Temperance Hall), Kangarilla. There are over 1250 burials in the Clarendon/Kangarilla Cemetery. The old section of the cemetery contains many beautiful old headstones and there is now a rose garden for the interment of ashes.

Clarendon Kangarilla cemetery register
 

Top