Local Studies Collection
in
 Making our local heritage accessible
  Home About the Collection Contact Us Copyright   Advanced Search Help  
 

Title - Reynella Railway Station, Reynella, S. Aust., 1969.

Collection Image - Click to Enlarge
Copies of this image may be made for private research/study.
Any other use requires permission from the City of Onkaparinga Libraries.
Creator
Subject(s) Transport  Railways       
Reference # 8739
Description Reynella Railway Station, Reynella, S. Aust., 1969. The idea of a railway from Adelaide to Willunga was first proposed as early as the 1880s. Slate production at the Willunga quarries was a significant reason for the government to consider funding the railway. After many years of being considered in parliament and many controversies over the proposed routes and costs to ratepayers, finally in 1909 the Willunga Railway Bill was passed and the Act formed in 1910. Construction began in 1913 and was completed in three sections, Goodwood to Marino in 1912, Hallett Cove to Reynella in 1913, and Morphett Vale to Willunga in 1914. The Railway was officially opened with a celebration at the end of the line, Willunga station, on 20 January 1915. The first station master at Reynella was C H T C Smith, and the station was attended until 1936. The Reynella station was the only place with a crossing loop that enabled trains to pass, and also had the only weighbridge. The station was a galvanised iron structure typical of other stations along the line. The concrete water tank was demolished when the line was closed in 1969.
Format(s) Photo (Black & White)  - 19 x 24 cm  Digital Image  - jpeg 
Notes Wedge Vineyard, which bordered Main South Road, is in the background of the photograph.
Date 1969.
Source REY-TR-21
Relation
Rights
Publisher Reynella, S. Aust., 1969.
   
 
Options
Purchase a Copy
View Enlarged Image

Popular Subjects