Local Studies Collection
in
 Making our local heritage accessible
  Home About the Collection Contact Us Copyright   Advanced Search Help  
 

Title - Reynella Memorial Hall, corner Old Main South Road and Reynell Road, Old Reynella, 2005.

Collection Image - Click to Enlarge
Copies of this image may be made for private research/study.
Any other use requires permission from the City of Onkaparinga Libraries.
Creator
Subject(s) Buildings, structures and establishments  Monuments and memorials  Halls     
Reference # h10162
Description Reynella Memorial Hall, corner Old Main South Road and Reynell Road, Old Reynella, 2005.
Format(s) Photo (Colour)  - jpeg  Digital Image  - 15 X 10 cm 
Notes The Reynella Memorial Hall was officially opened on 18 December 1954. Mrs Carew (May) Reynell donated the land for the hall. J. G. Woolcock laid the foundation stone on 22 August 1953. According to "The history of the Reynella Memorial Hall" as told by Margarette Powell and the staff of the Reynella Neighbourhood Centre Inc., the suggestion to make the hall a memorial hall came from Mrs Carew Reynell whose husband, Lt Col. Carew Reynell was killed at Gallipoli in 1915, and their only son, Richard Reynell, was killed in the Battle of Britain in September 1940. Richardís son, John, was killed in an helicopter accident in 1973. The World War One Roll of Honor was originally housed in the old hall in Peach Street, but was moved to the Reynella Memorial Hall when it opened in 1954. The World War Two Honour Roll was added in 1998. The portion of Reynella east of Main South Road, was renamed Old Reynella in 1996.
Date 2005.
Source REY-ML-5
Relation
Rights
Publisher Aberfoyle Park, SA : City of Onkaparinga Libraries, 2005.
   
 
Options
Purchase a Copy
View Enlarged Image

Popular Subjects