Print Page Close Window
Seaford  |  European History and Heritage
 

Seaford, a coastal suburb to the near south of Port Noarlunga, was set out on Sections 334 and 340, Hundred of Noarlunga, in 1954 by the Wakefield Land Company Pty Ltd. To the west of the horseshoe in the Onkaparinga River at Noarlunga, the land was first settled in the farming boom of the 1840s and 1850s.

Those same sections were owned, in the late 1860s, by David Beyer and could well have been rented out to William Robinson. Robinson, who emigrated to South Australia from Ireland in 1856, came to Noarlunga as an agricultural labourer. In time, he leased land and later purchased property to establish his Karlsruhe Farm. Like many other South Australian colonists, William Robinson worked his way to land ownership – one of the firm hopes of the colony’s founders.

Robinson’s son, William Charles Cobb, married Jane Pengilly in 1899 and they built a house nearby.

Seaford was also the site, in the nineteenth century, of the Southern Race Course. The pursuit of horse racing and other British sports, like hunting and ploughing matches, was an important part of the local social life.

During the mid-twentieth century, the movement of suburban population to the south of Adelaide and the rise of tourism along the beaches resulted in numerous land developments.

Photograph courtesy of Local Studies Collection – City of Onkaparinga’s libraries

Built in 1911 for William Charles Cobb Robinson, this house is a reminder of the area’s farming heritage.

W.C.C. Robinson’s father, William, emigrated from Ireland in 1856 and after some years as a farm worker first leased and then purchased land near Seaford. W.C.C. Robinson married, in 1899, Jane Pengilly, from the well known Aldinga farming family.