Built Heritage Property Details

Farm complex - 'Glengrove'

<<Go Back
Address: Lot 100 Cut Hill Road
Suburb: Kangarilla
Allotment No: Alt 100 Sec 794
Plan No: FP 37652
Zoning: Primary Production
Area:
Heritage ID No: 91
Type of Listing: Local Heritage Places
Ownership: Private
Conservation Plan: No

Description
'Glengrove' is a two-storeyed house constructed of roughly squared sandstone with squared stone surrounds to openings, stone sills, shaped stone voussoirs to the window heads, and substantial rubble chimneys with brick caps. The house appears to have been built in two sections, the earlier single storey section having small paned windows and timber lintels. Tie rods span the length of the two-storey section at ground and first floor levels. Windows to the east façade of the two-storey section are not original, and the original openings to the south façade have been built in. The associated two-storey cottage was supposedly the original coach-house, and is constructed of sandstone rubble with brick semi-circular relieving arches. A number of the external structural openings have been enlarged and altered to incorporate steel frames.

History
'Glengrove', built into the side of Kangarilla Hill, would appear to date from c. 1862, when its owner, John Carr (later MP for Noarlunga) employed A. A. Delisser to subdivide his property into township allotments. Despite early attempts to establish Glengrove as a township, it was the township of nearby Kangarilla that grew as the preferred place of settlement.

Extent of Listing
Farm Complex ‘Glengrove’ – includes house & cottage

Source: BHA2007

Farm Complex 'Glengorve' (1) Bruce Harry and Associates (2007)

Farm Complex 'Glengorve' (2) Bruce Harry and Associates (2007)

Farm Complex 'Glengorve' (3) Bruce Harry and Associates (2007)